This week Maggie catches up with Alicia and Bella from Two girls one Taco, your local corn napkin stuffing operation.
The two are based in Melrose and make delicious fresh Taco’s to order, catering for any occasion. This week we talk
the art of making Tortillas, Molote’s and how they came up with controversial name……. (Two girls one Taco).
Orange soy glazed roasted pork belly
orange soy glazed roasted pork belly.
spiced kumara mash
fresh herbs and pickled ginger
100 ml water
100 ml rice wine vinegar
100 g sugar
250 g fresh peeled and thinly sliced ginger
1 tsp salt
1) Macerate peeled ginger in bowl with 1 tsp salt, let sit for 30 min then squeeze out excess
2) Heat sugar, water, and vinegar in saucepan till sugar is dissolved.
3) Place ginger in sterilized jar and pour hot liquid on top.
4) Store in refrigerator for at least 24 hours to develop flavor.
Orange Soy Marinated Pork Belly
1 shallot minced
3 garlic cloves minced
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup orange juice and peel of 1 orange
2 star anise
3 whole cloves
1/2 cup tamari
1 Tbs canola oil
1 kg pork belly deboned, scored skin on salted liberally over night or at least 1 hour before
cooking. Remove from fridge an hour before cooking.
1) Heat oil in a sauce pan add shallot and garlic, cook until translucent.
2) Add cloves and star anise, toast for 1 to 2 minutes.
3) Add sugar and vinegar, allow to reduce by 1/3.
4) Add orange juice, tamarin and orange peel and let marinade simmer for 20 min.
5) Strain marinade and poor half over pork belly laying in a baking tray with skin facing up.
6) Preheat oven to 160 and cook uncovered for 30 min, continue to glaze belly throughout
7) For the remaining cook time increase temperature to 200 and broil belly to crips the skin.
When done let rest and poor remaining glaze on top
*Meat Substitute. Washed and processed Jackfruit.
marinade with same mix and roast at same temperatures for 30 min or until jackfruit starts to
crisp on corners. *
Spiced Kumara Mash
2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 lemon for juicing
1 kg steamed cubed kumara
200 g brown onion small diced
3 garlic cloves mined
2 Tbsp cooking oil
Salt to taste
1) In a sauce pan on medium/ high heat, heat oil and add diced brown onion and garlic. Cook
onion until translucent.
2) Add cinnamon and sugar and cook until sugar is dissolved and cinnamon is slightly toasted.
3) In a separate pot boil cubed kumara until tender, strain and add to onion garlic mix
4) Smash with appropriate utensil (egg beater, stick blender, your powerful fists)
5) Generously salt and squeeze juice from 1 lemon, mix and adjust seasoning to taste.
Sliced Spring Onion
TG1T Fresh Tortilla : Kumara Mash : Sliced Pork Belly : Spring Onion : Coriander : Pickled