A Little History…
RadioActive.FM began life as the student radio station for Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association (VUWSA) first broadcasting in August 1977, on the 1260kHz AM Frequency.
- On February 22, 1982, Radio Active became the first radio station in Wellington, and one of the first in New Zealand, to broadcast on the newly available FM frequency.
- In 1992 VUWSA decided that Radio Active could not make any more losses, and sold the station to Radio Active Ltd, in the hope that the station could become financially viable.
- In 1996 Radio Active was one of the first radio stations in the world to commence online broadcasting, and one of the first to have a stream available 24/7.
- In 1998 the station moved off campus, to join Wellington’s creative communities in the central city – creating popular events such as the long-running “One Love” Waitangi Day festival, and music video awards night: “Handle The Jandal”.
- RadioActive.FM is proudly part of the Student Radio Network (SRN) along with 95bFM, Radio Control, RDU and Radio One.
Want to learn more about RadioActive.FM? Check out our 45th Anniversary gallery, or the article by our friends over at AudioCulture. (or give us a call – we’re always happy to hear from you!)
Do you have any treasures from Active’s past?
Posters, recordings, photos, anything and everything – get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org
We regularly receive feedback from people tuning in from every corner of the globe. Everybody from Wellington expats to musicians and producers that have experienced our good vibes during their travels!
With a highly talented pool of over 100 volunteer DJs/Announcers, some of whom have been with the station for over 40 years, RadioActive.FM is renowned for the wide variety of interesting music that it plays.
The specialist shows throughout the week cater for a truly eclectic range of sub-genres. From African Samba to Swedish Metal – our specialist DJs know their stuff, and cover all bases.
Radio Active FM Limited is wholly owned by The Radio Active Charitable Trust.
The Trustees are:
|Ross Steele||Andy Mitchell|
|John Pilley||Brigid Connor|
|Andrew Tobin||Yadana Saw|
You must be logged in to post a comment.